· Reflect on your selected practice problem and address the following:
· Select one of the translation science theories from your readings or lesson this week.
· The integration of research into clinical practice takes an average of 17 years or more and such a delay has greatly contributed to the current knowledge-practice gap as well as poor health outcomes (White et al., 2016). Timely translation of research knowledge into practice is essential to improving patient safety and nursing practice. Translation science theories were developed to lessen the time it takes for new evidence to reach the patient at the bedside (White et al., 2016). Obesity is a global, national, and local problem impacting the lives of so many individuals. The Knowledge-to-Action (KTA) model is one of the translation science theories. The framework provides an analytical and practical tool for clinical practice which through application has remarkably and positively impacted the quality of care and patient outcomes (Xu et al., 2020). According to Sturgiss and Douglas (2016), it has been used successfully to specifically create a weight management toolkit to combat obesity in general practitioners in Australia where obesity was prevalent.
· Provide a description of each component or phase in the translation science model
· The KTA model involves a repetitive process consisting of two interconnecting cycles, the knowledge-creation cycle, and the application or action cycle (Xu et al., 2020). The KTA framework was designed not only for use by clinicians in healthcare practice but by other users beyond nursing practice (White et al., 2016).
· The knowledge-creation cycle comprises three phases which include knowledge inquiry, knowledge synthesis, and the formation of more adaptable knowledge tools to meet the needs of both clinicians and researchers (Xu et al., 2020). It entails researching, appraising, and refining knowledge into easier-to-use new knowledge tools or products for all end-users (White et al., 2016). White et al. (2016) further note, at each step, the creator of knowledge is capable of molding activities to meet peculiar questions and needs.
· The action cycle consists of seven components or phases and aims at transforming knowledge into practice (Xu et al., 2020). It involves all the knowledge implementation or application initiatives (White et al., 2016). The seven components include problem identification, knowledge adaptation, the examination of barriers, application of the selected knowledge, monitoring, analyzing, and sustaining knowledge (Xu et al., 2020).
· Discuss the phase(s) in the theory when the evidence is appraised (evaluated). Why is this step important?
· Appraisal of knowledge occurs during the three phases of the knowledge-creation cycle. Primary research is conducted at the knowledge inquiry phase, a systematic review of evidence is conducted in the synthesis phase, and the final phase involves the creation of new tools and products for end users like aids, Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs), or videos. At any of the steps, the producer or creator of knowledge can use an integrated approach and tailor activities to answer precise research questions or meet the needs of the end-user (White et al., 2016).
· Why is this step important?
· The appraisal step is relevant in selecting the best new evidence to ensure that the knowledge tools or products created are effectively tailored to meet the needs of clinicians and all end-user in the translation process thus improve patient outcomes. According to Melnyk, (2016), understanding the different forms of evidence and the ability to systematically locate, critically review and synthesize the strength of evidence is crucial in enhancing clinical practice and patient care outcomes. The critical appraisal process helps identify reliable and high-quality evidence relevant and valuable to any specific practice (Al-Jundi & Sakka, 2017).
· Al-Jundi, A., & Sakka, S. (2017). Critical appraisal of clinical research. Journal of Clinical & Diagnostic Research, 11(5), 1-5. https://doi:10.7860/JCDR/2017/26047.9942
· Melnyk, B. M. (2016). Level of evidence plus critical appraisal of its quality yields confidence to implement evidence-based practice changes. Worldviews On Evidence-Based Nursing, 13(5), 337-339. https://doi.org/10.1111/wvn.12181 (Links to an external site.)
· Sturgiss, E. A., & Douglas, K. (2016). A collaborative process for developing a weight management toolkit for general practitioners in Australia-an intervention development study using the knowledge to action framework. Pilot and Feasibility Studies, 2, 20. https://doi:10.1186/s40814-016-0060-4Links to an external site.
· White, K. M., Dudley-Brown, S., & Terhaar, M. F. (2016). Translation of evidence into nursing and health care (2nd ed.). Springer Publishing Company.
· Xu, Y., Li, S., Zhao, P., & Zhao, J. (2020). Using the knowledge-to-action framework with joint arthroplasty patients to improve the quality of care transition: A quasi-experimental study. Journal of Orthopaedic Surgery and Research, 15(1), 31. https://doi:10.1186/s13018-020-1561-7Links to an external site.
I NEED A COMMENT FOR THIS POST WITH AT LEAST 2-4 PARAGRAPH AND SOURCES NO LATER THAN FIVE YEARS
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more